Gaston College is seeking applicants for a Controller opening.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Salary: $77,000.00 - $81,997.00 Annually
Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Operations, responsible for the accounting operations of the College (i.e., accounts receivable, accounts payable, budget management, and payroll) in accordance with federal and state laws, the North Carolina Administrative Code, the North Carolina Community College System Accounting Procedures Manual, and applicable College policies and procedures. The position is also responsible for leading, guiding, and directing approximately 10 staff members and managing the College’s Business Office, Purchasing, and Shipping and Receiving departments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates financial planning, budget management, accounts receivable, and cash receipts. Prepares month-end and year-end financial reports. Serves as College coordinator for financial audits and reviews. Leads the financial audit processes including preparation of financial audit workpapers, scheduling audits, gathering requested information and source documents, and creating Management Discussion and Analysis and Footnotes.
- Coordinates financial planning, budget management, accounts receivable, and cash receipts. Prepares month-end and year-end financial reports. Serves as College coordinator for financial audits and reviews. Prepares regular, timely, and as requested financial reports and analysis, maintains accounting records, and ensures a comprehensive set of controls to mitigate risk. Analyzes financial data, designs worksheets, generates reports, evaluates options, and develops and implements relevant processes. Evaluates workflows and makes recommendations to optimize workflows.
- Works with internal and external functions to resolve administrative issues, which includes ensuring and/or personally providing strong customer service and assistance to students and the members of the general public.
- Responsible for establishing, monitoring, and managing the various College budgets (e.g., State of NC, Gaston and Lincoln counties, and institutional).
- In collaboration with Technology Services (IT), responsible for updating and maintaining accounting functions within Ellucian Colleague including tuition rate tables, AR and NARD codes, etc., and troubleshooting and resolving software-related issues.
- Assists with securing and managing grants to keep financial information and fund reimbursements flowing between the College and funding agencies. Prepares grant spending reports and requests funds to cover expenditures from Grantees.
- Coordinates the financial component of student registration periods.
- Collaborates with Student Affairs and the Office of Financial Aid in the management and disbursement of Title IV (student financial aid) funds.
- Monitors capital spending and request of funds to cover expenditures for capital projects including NC State bond funds, County bond funds, and capital ant funding.
- Prepares timely external reports that include Year-end closing, State Treasurer’s CAFR worksheets and related documents, financial statement footnotes, and Management Discussion and Analysis (MD&A) narratives.
- Manages the College’s equipment/assets program.
- Assures timely submission of W-2, 1099-Misc and 1098-T reporting, oversees preparation of the Foundation’s 990 annual tax returns, prepares and coordinates the timely filing of State and Federal reports, prepares and submits the financial component of IPEDS reporting, and reviews the monthly sales tax reports and files with the NC Department of Revenue.
- Identifies best practices and refines processes to ensure compliance with regulatory and reporting requirements. Ensures current financial statement reporting standards, pronouncements, and requirements, such as GAAP, GASB, FASB, AICPA, Yellowbook audit requirements, non-profit accounting, are followed and recommends and/or implements new financial reporting standards and pronouncements as needed.
- Attends or participates in key training opportunities as needed.
- Responsible for various accounting and accounting-related activities such as lab fee allocation, interest income, coding and compliance review for purchase requisitions and drawdown of Federal funds.
- Oversees maintenance of Statement of Net Position accounts including Cash and Cash Equivalents, Accounts Receivable, Inventory, Capital Assets, Accounts Payable and Accrued Liabilities; Long-term Liabilities including Leave Accrual and Leases, and Net Position.
- Monitors cash flow and assists with monthly cash certification requests from the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) to ensure adequate cash on hand.
- Oversees and reviews classification of revenue into various operating and non-operating revenue categories including Tuition and Fees, State and Local Grants and Contracts, Sales and Services, State Aid, County Appropriations, Grants, Gifts, and Capital aid and gifts.
- Responsible for the Enhancing Accountability in Government through Leadership and Education (EAGLE) internal audit program administered by the NC Office of State Controller designed to ensure, establish, and maintain effective internal financial and accounting controls including timely submission of reports, effectively correcting any deficiencies.
- Prepares monthly and as needed financial reports including reports and documents for Board of Trustee meetings.
- Serve on various campus-wide committees.
- Responsible for leading and guiding direct reports, which includes coaching, managing performance, professional development, cross-training, work scheduling, dependability, etc.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines. Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems. Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including special projects.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree from a nationally accredited institution in finance, accounting, or a related field required.
- Master’s degree from a nationally accredited institution in finance, accounting, or a related field preferred.
- CPA certification preferred.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- At least five years of professional accounting experience required.
- At least five years of supervisory experience in a finance-related field required.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles required.
- Advanced MS Excel skills required.
- Knowledge of automated financial and accounting reporting systems required.
- Ability to analyze financial data and prepare financial reports, statements, and projections required.
- Experience within the North Carolina Community College System and Ellucian Colleague preferred.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Generally, works in a traditional climate-controlled office environment requires the ability to sit for extended periods.
- Some walking, standing, and bending required and the ability to lift and maneuver items weighing up to 25 pounds.
- Work environment can be stressful at times in dealing with a wide variety of challenges and deadlines.
- In addition to regular office hours, the position may require additional hours and flexibility during the week. Remote work options may be available, but are contingent upon effectively maintaining areas of responsibility, supervision of others, and specific duties and responsibilities.
Click "apply" to submit your application today!