The Housing Authority of the City of Wilmington, North Carolina is accepting applications for the Controller position. Applicants must submit a letter of interest, current resume, three professional references and a Wilmington Housing Authority application to: Controller Attention: Human Resources Department, PO Box 899, Wilmington, NC 28402, or email to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
General Statement of the Position:
The Controller position is a hands-on and participative manager that will assume the responsibility for all day-to-day finance and reporting operations of the entity and its affiliated entities. The position is responsible for the preparation of financial statements and other management reports and analysis. The controller ensures the accuracy of financial information by maintaining an adequate system of accounting records, a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, and compliance with accounting principles, program requirements and local, state, and federal requirements. The position coordinates external audits and presents information to various users. The position will supervise the Finance Department staff and provide financial support to other departments in the organization. This is an exempt position and reports to the Senior Vice President/Chief Finance Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads by example and serves as a role model for the standards and behaviors consistent with the core values and culture of the company.
- Responsible for the efficient and effective day-to-day operations of the finance department.
- Responsible for the day-to-day banking functions; maintains banking relationships.
- Prepares financial statements accurately and timely for monthly presentation to the governance board and at other intervals as needed.
- Prepares and submits the monthly Housing Choice Voucher submissions in cooperation with the Housing Choice Voucher Department.
- Ensures the general ledger is accurate and that supporting documentation for transaction and journal entries is adequate and accurate; ensures that expenses are allowable and appropriate.
- Responsible for fixed asset accounting.
- Responsible for the preparation of annual budgets in coordination with the management of all departments; monitors monthly operating budgets and addresses budgetary issues for the organization and its related entities.
- Responsible for the coordination of all external audits, tax return preparation and filings, and other required reporting to financial institutions, funding entities and to local, state, federal authorities to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
- Serves as a resource for all management and finance staff about financial matters.
- Serves as the day-to-day contact and coordinates with the external auditors for the completion of the audit on a timely basis, including preparation of necessary schedules, supplying information, and answering questions, etc.; resolves any audit adjustments and findings arising from the audit.
- Serves on procurement selection panels as requested.
- Suggests, develops, and implements processes and procedures to streamline operations of the department and to broaden the capacity of the department.
- Prepares management reports as requested.
- Monitors and takes necessary actions to maintain reasonable aging of accounts receivable, accounts payable and open purchase orders.
- Reviews, analyzes, and presents monthly financial results and provides recommendations for the organization and its related entities.
- Reviews and ensures application of appropriate internal controls, financial procedures, and risk mitigation measures.
- Manages cash flow planning and ensures funds availability.
- Oversees compliance with the cash investment policy approved by the Board; files appropriate reports to Local Government Commission and other entities as required.
- Manages the escheat functions.
- Remains current on best practices, federal and state laws, regulations, and rules regarding the operations.
- Manages the finance department staff; assigns duties and responsibilities, evaluates performance, develops recommends employment.
- Supervises all payroll functions, serves as administrator for third party payroll processing, and maintains correct allocation of staff to all WHA properties.
- Oversees accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, including recommendations for automating and enhancing effectiveness of these functions.
- Continually updates accounting and process knowledge, as well as the knowledge of staff.
- Maintains knowledge as to the nature and eligible expenditures for all types of funding and financing; tracks funds by type and ensures proper use of funding and proper reporting of funds both internally and externally.
- Any other duties and responsibilities to accomplish the mission of this position and the mission of the company and its affiliates.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comprehensive understanding of GAAP and standards for audits of governmental agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent customer service and to ensure others provide excellent customer service.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated confidence and professional presence with the ability to motivate staff.
- Excellent analytical, reasoning, and critical thinking skills.
- Experience collaborating with outside auditors, internal controls, and compliance related issues.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts and data to non-financial individuals.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to continual improvement.
- Must be bondable.
- Must have flexibility.
- Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions in the English language effectively.
Education, Experience and Licenses:
Bachelor’s degree in accounting with seven years accounting supervision experience.
CPA license or master’s in accounting degree preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed by personnel assigned to this classification. This is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform any other duties and fulfill any other responsibilities to accomplish the mission of the position and the mission of the company.
The Housing Authority of the City of Wilmington, NC is committed in policy and in practice to providing equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees, based upon their training, experience and overall qualifications. Consistent with this commitment, discrimination against an applicant or employee based upon the individual’s race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, military status, protected veteran status, genetic information or any other condition or characteristic protected by law is strictly prohibited.