Position Title: Accounting Assistant
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent, FLSA Non-exempt
Department: Finance and Accounting
Location: Thurston PUD Headquarters – Lacey, WA
Reports to: Finance and Customer Service Manager
Pay Range: $3,992 - $5,100 per month ($23.03 - $29.42 per hour) Depending on Qualifications
A new pay range will be effective January 1, 2024!
The primary responsibility of this position is to perform the water utility’s accounts payable duties. The
position also performs a variety of financial and accounting related duties under the general supervision
of the Finance and Customer Service Manager. This position is responsible for compiling and maintaining
accounting, budgetary, and other fiscal records and data, such as accounts receivable, payroll,
verification and posting of deposits, and reconciliation of accounts and cash receipts in accordance with
set guidelines. In addition, the Accounting Assistant classifies and codes entries and transactions in
accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures and assists in the preparation of reports and
spreadsheets as required.
Essential Duties (Duties may include but are not limited to):
• Under general supervision, classifies and codes invoices by vendor; enters data; verifies correct
authorizations; maintains vendor files to ensure all reporting requirements are met.
• Under general supervision, prepares warrants weekly; checks for duplicate payment; prepares
reviews and edits voucher reports; mails warrants with documentation; files vouchers.
• Verifies completeness and accuracy of bank deposits; makes corrections as needed and notifies
treasurer of all deposits.
• Under general supervision may assist with semi-monthly payroll and payroll liability payments
and may help prepare and submit payment and reports of all payroll liabilities/employee
• May verify the accuracy of all adjustments for leaks, refunds, or other approved corrections.
• Provides customer service; responds to routine inquiries; explains District policies, procedures,
and fees; looks up information; refers visitors or callers to other staff as needed.
• Maintains asset listings and depreciation reports as assigned.
• Maintains contract tracking for capital asset projects as assigned.
• Perform assigned purchasing functions.
• Processes automatic payments for utility customers as assigned.
• Assists in the preparation of the annual budget of the District as assigned.
• Assists in the reconciliation of fund balances and other balance sheet accounts as required.
• May assist in the preparation of monthly accounting journal entries for posting to the general
ledgers to accurately reflect the distribution of income and expenses; maintains other fiscal
records to support the reports issued by the department.
• Participates in the ongoing development and maintenance of a records management system.
• Assist in preparing application for state or federal funding for projects as assigned.
• Provide contracting and bidding support as required.
• Other duties as required in administrative, accounting, and customer service areas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Proficient computer skills with thorough knowledge of spreadsheet and word processing
programs and networking systems. Skill using database systems to maintain records and
• Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint,
• Must have knowledge of accounting systems, including fund accounting.
• Must have knowledge of state and federal payroll tax regulations.
• Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Ability to identify when segregation of accounting duties and functions is appropriate.
• Must be bondable.
• Must be highly organized and able to perform duties with a high level of accuracy,
thoroughness, and completeness.
• Must be able to exercise decorum and discretion regarding personal and financial information.
• Must possess excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Must be team-oriented but able to work independently.
• Must be able to work under pressure, handle multiple tasks, and meet deadlines.
• Must be able to deal with irate or disgruntled individuals that will require the use of conflict
• Must have the ability to comply with all PUD policies and procedures and maintain confidential
• Must maintain a safe driving record.
• Must be safety-conscious and committed to safe work practices.
• Work in accordance with District and generally accepted industry safety practices.
• High school diploma or GED or ability to acquire one.
• Valid Washington State Driver’s License with a driving record acceptable to the PUD’s insurance
• Education or experience equivalent to a course work at an associate degree level in accounting
or closely related field preferred, including courses or experience in governmental accounting.
• 1-2 years of increasingly responsible finance, purchasing, or accounting experience preferred.
• Knowledge of Prevailing Wage procedures and Davis Bacon Laws preferred.
• Position requires the ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time.
• Position requires the ability to lift and/or move objects up to 50 pounds in weight.
• The employee frequently is required to use hands to grasp, manipulate, handle, or feel objects,
tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms. This includes using a telephone and/or a
keyboard to communicate through written means.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, the ability to adjust focus, and the ability to distinguish between shades of color.
Work is primarily performed in a busy office setting, oriented to public services and subject to constant
work interruptions. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. A hybrid work
schedule may be authorized for this position, per Thurston PUD Policy 100-020 Remote Work.
Level of Authority
Work is performed under the general direction of the Finance and Customer Service Manager. The
Accounting Assistant I is expected to perform most assignments independently.
To apply, submit a letter of interest and resume to HR@thurstonpud.org.
The most qualified applicants will be asked to complete an application and additional testing will be
required. Applications can be found online at www.thurstonpud.org.
Fax: (360) 357-1172
Mail: Thurston PUD
Attn: Human Resources
1230 Ruddell Rd SE
Lacey, WA 98503
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For questions regarding this recruitment,
please contact our Human Resources Team at HR@thurstonpud.org or call us at (360) 357-8783.
During the recruitment process, background checks (e.g., criminal history records, employment
reference checks, driving record checks, etc.) will be conducted on the top candidates. The PUD is an
Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains policies for a drug-free and smoke-free work environment.
About Thurston PUD
Established in 1938, Thurston PUD is a special-purpose municipal agency located in Lacey, WA. The PUD
currently owns and operates 279 water systems, serving a population of approximately 25,000 people,
including families, businesses, schools, and parks. Thurston PUD provides water planning and utility
services to the citizens of Thurston County and operates water systems in Pierce, Lewis, King, Grays
Harbor, and Kitsap counties. The PUD is governed by three Commissioners who are elected by the voters
of Thurston County to serve for six years.
The PUD offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package that includes:
• Group healthcare coverage (medical, dental, vision) with low employee premiums,
• Group term life insurance, long-term disability coverage, and accidental death and
dismemberment coverage at no cost to PUD employees,
• Participation in the State of Washington retirement plan,
• Voluntary participation in the State of Washington Deferred Compensation Program,
• Ten paid holidays and two personal holidays each year, in addition to sick and vacation leave
• PUD-paid training and certifications, and
• Clothing allowance for administrative staff. For Field Operations staff, the PUD provides safety
clothing, work boots, and other equipment