The Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library is looking for an Accounting Supervisor to join our Finance team. Come be part of and contribute to an organization committed to being an integral part of our community by sparking curiosity and connecting our community through literacy and learning.
The Accounting Supervisor is responsible for directing and supervising the payroll administration, accounting, and other financial transactions and reports for the library.
As the Accounting Supervisor some of the things you will do are:
- Analyze and approve bi-weekly payroll for accuracy and compliance with government regulations utilizing the Human Resource Information System (HRIS), internal databases, and spreadsheets.
- Analyze and approve payroll records and reports.
- Review bi-weekly and monthly payroll benefit reconciliations and related journal vouchers and E-checks.
- Responsible for payroll and any other financial modules within the HRIS. Frequently works with Human Resources staff to correct issues with the HRIS system or with employee data or payroll. Occasionally works with HRIS provider to correct issues with the system involving payroll or other financial information.
- Analyze invoices for accuracy, propriety and requisite authority and approves for payment on a weekly basis.
- Verify receipt of goods and performance of services.
- Review travel expense reports, credit card statements, and the associated Purchase Orders and approves for payment.
- Prepare and submit weekly positive pay files.
- Analyze outstanding purchase orders on a quarterly and yearly basis.
- Analyze, prepare and/or approve year-end tax forms.
- Supervise one Accountant by coaching, developing, completing annual performance reviews, and providing professional development opportunities to assist with developing and improving job-related skills.
- Assist in audit and budget preparation.
- Serve as accounting system administrator.
- Serve as backup for Finance office functions such as processing time and leave for payroll, preparation of purchase orders, processing invoices for payment, bank deposits and reconciliation of bank statements.
- Serve as a member of Management Team.
- Represent Administration and Finance both within and outside the Library.
- Complete work assignments in a timely manner and meet deadlines.
- Maintain technology competencies at a level necessary for the position.
- Maintain prompt arrival and efficient and dependably maintain scheduled hours.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in accounting is required.
- Three years of experience processing payroll, reconciling payroll liabilities, and preparing state and federal payroll reports is required.
- Three years of experience in processing accounts receivable and accounts payable is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of and ability to use and operate Human Resource Information Systems (HRIS) for payroll administration.
- Knowledge of accounting and payroll system software.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Ability to perform detailed work with accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with patrons, volunteers, community partners, colleagues and supervisors.
- Demonstrated skill working with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
Planning, organizational and analytical skills:
- Ability to work scheduled hours, arrive promptly and maintain regular and reliable attendance.
- A pre and/or post-employment drug screen, criminal history record check and physical capacity testing are required as a condition of employment.
SCHEDULE: This is a full-time exempt (salaried) position that works 40 hours per week. A hybrid telecommuting schedule may be available after a period of time based on fit for the program.
PAY & BENEFITS: Starting salary will be in the range of $54,392 to $67,995.20 depending on experience and qualifications. Excellent benefits including health & dental insurance with pre-tax premiums, and a retirement plan (Kansas Public Employees Retirement System (KPERS)). Group life, disability coverage and accidental death benefits are also provided. Other optional benefits available at employee's expense include vision, life and cancer insurance and a deferred compensation plan.
First review of applications will begin Monday, August 14, 2022.